9.11.09

Getting back on track


I must apologize for the extended hiatus. I have been in and out of depression for awhile but I am finally getting on with my life. You see, I lost my beloved dog Roxxi to cancer late last year. After six months of chemotherapy, she succumbed to her illness and as much as I wanted to have her with me, I could not bear to watch her go through the weekly IV infusions and injections that caused her immense stress, anguish and pain. I loved her so much but I had to let her go. I don't regret my decision, but I miss her very much. Things just weren't the same without her. Until I brought Tia home.

My husband and I drove six hours to get her. She is so beautiful and everyday I grow to love her more. We took a family trip to Nova Scotia back in July, where we rented an oceanfront cottage in Guysborough. There, she really showed me how full of surprises she is. On her first day, I took her to the beach and immediately, without prior exposure to any large body of water, she ran headlong into the crashing waves and started to swim.

Do you know what happiness is? I see it everyday on Tia's bright, innocent puppy face. But I also know profound sadness and I live with this feeling too, everyday. I am getting better and only now am I able to talk about Roxxi without falling apart. I had so many wonderful memories of her, for almost fourteen years of my life she was a part of it. She watched me graduate from high school and struggled with me throughout my undergraduate years. She kept me company when I moved out of my parents' place and stayed by my side while I wrote my Ph.D thesis. I am thankful that she at least saw me through my wedding day and as if she knew before anyone else, she closed that chapter of my life.

To eternal friendship and new beginnings.....

No comments: