1.2.10

Serengeti Sopa Lodge

The swimming pool and lounging area overlooking the western Serengeti. There is an artifical watering hole that the lodge had created to attract the wild animals. We saw mostly giraffes, gazelles, impalas and warthogs feeding in the general vicinity.

When I was booking this place initially, I went on to TripAdvisor to read some reviews. And as to be expected, the comments were mixed. Some people complained of bug infestations, dirty rooms, etc. But honestly, I was impressed when I stayed here. The rooms were spacious, clean and bug-free! It could just be the time of the year. I was more concerned with the tsetse flies when we were out for the game drives because their bites were quite painful. And also, the whole African Sleeping Sickness thing was a little worrisome. All the places we stayed at had hot showers and very comfy beds with mosquito nettings.


Our bedroom had a balcony that overlooked the Serengeti. Since mosquitoes were not really an issue when we were there, my hubby and I sat outside at night with the lights turned off and just listened to the wildlife. We heard a pride of hunting lions make a kill and the deep, guttural roar of what I imagined to be a very large lion. It sounded like a Harley Davidson motorcycle but louder and more powerful. It was just incredible.

No comments: